Skip to main content

The home of the homeless

We're living in the periphery. You take the subway to the last stop, you walk to the last house in the suburb before...  No wait, there is still one more house before the end of civilisation.

The home of the homeless.

How utterly appropriate that it is placed where it is. It could not be anywhere else. It actually exists only because it is where it is. On the edge. On earth as it is in our minds.

As I sit at my desk I see the bent characters walk out to their "home". There is no way you cannot tell who is who. Basically people walking by fall into two categories; the one's who walk slowly and seemingly without purpose out to the periphery. Or the one's who with a spring in their step walk towards the centre. Oh well, then you of course also have the joggers, who run past the home of the homeless out into the woods to gather more pace and stamina in order to be able to run the rat-race into the centre.

I remember a story from my childhood Malung. Peo, one of the locals with a fondness for the bottle but also with a great reputation for puns, wanted to take a taxi out to his little shack in the "fäbod". But the taxi-drivers refused, having too many times taken him without proper payment. Peo however insisted and finally after some nagging one of the drivers capitulated, but not without resent, expressed through a rather wild and bumpy drive out on the small forest roads. Peo, holding on in the back seat, taps on the driver's shoulder and asks: "Hal du på å prov te kyr ifro mäg? - "Are you trying to drive away from me?"

We are all trying, but luckily there is that little tap on our shoulders... The more we try to see that we are not One, the more persistent the tap. Until we respond with anger, deportation of the nuisance to the periphery, along with all our excuses why we are not as them, followed by our own loss of humanity and having to fill the void with other things that we think we will find in the centre.

We will not find it there. If we look for a million years we will not find it there.

We do not want to see the other because he reminds us of something we do not want to see in us. But actually, not wanting to see the people of the periphery is not wanting to see our own greatness, our own oneness with everyone.  Our own wide spectrum including the spots that give depths and perspective to the canvas.

The fear of condemnation makes us condemn.

At my grandfather's and grandmother's wedding in the beginning of the last century a family picture was taken showing the families of the newlyweds. All the siblings are sparkling of happiness, donned in their finest clothes with faces shining like polished pots. One of them is Erik, one of my grandmother's youngest brothers. He is shining with the rest, and even if I look to detect something different in those smiling slanted eyes I cannot. He is all smiles, just like all of them.

Erik was the naughty one. A few years later at the division of his parents estate he swindled his siblings and ran away with the money, never to be heard of. Nor spoken of, I am not sure my father even knew  of his existence. Except for maybe that smiling face on the wedding picture. But one day, a lifetime later,  somebody from Stockholm social department calls my aunt - that tap on the shoulder - and says there is a funeral and they believe the deceased, Erik, could be a relative.

Erik was buried along with his name. Nobody came. Except my aunt, a priest and an organist.

I am looking out the window as I am sitting here in the periphery and I see an old man kicking up the paper with his worn out shoes.

He could be my great uncle.

Actually he is my great uncle.

And better still;

He is a part of me.

"Are you trying to drive away from me?"

"No bro, I am not, no more, no more. How could I enjoy the ride without your company."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Åke Edvinsson, 60 år

Det går nog knappt en dag utan att jag tänker i tacksamhet på dig, Åke. Alla minnen som vi delat under årens lopp blir man ju ständigt påmind om genom gamla sånger och sammanhang, människor och miljöer som poppar upp litet här och där, litet nu och då. Häromdagen slogs jag av en lust att hålla ett tacktal till dig för allt du betytt för mig, men antog att det är väl något jag kommer att skjuta upp tills din begravning - om nu inte du kommer att sjunga på min dessförinnan. Men varför vänta till dess, tänkte jag sen? Det är så dags då, nej låt mig få uttrycka detta nu! Och så vaknar jag idag och ser att du fyller 60 år! Detta är mitt tillfälle, att få skriva ett helt oförblommerat tacktal till en underbar människa som nog betytt mer för mig - och för många andra - än någon annan utanför den innersta familjekretsen! Den första gång jag såg dig var den första gång jag hörde dig; i barnkören som repade i kyrkskolan under fröken Gun Anderssons ledning. Och vi fortsatte s

The unfolding tale of a hundred hymns

Wow! The power of setting your intentions...  Last summer I created a folder in my computer, and I had to give it a name. After giving it a quick thought I wrote: "Hundred hymns", in an attempt to be a bit poetic in the small space and time given.  There's a new hymnbook on its way in Sweden and a call has gone out for anyone who wants to contribute with proposals. I thought I ought to send in something before the deadline on New Years and the folder was created for this purpose.  I started to browse thru a life's worth of song creation and did not find much suitable, managed to come up with about 30 songs that I thought could work, after editing them quite substantially.  After that I fell ill in Covid. Little did I realise then how necessary this was for the developments that were to follow. For the first time in my life I had a personal and very tangible experience of life's brevity. And a reminder of the importance of taking every day as a precious gift.  ​ N

Never Ending Peace And Love – Reflections on a first encounter with NEPAL

Part 1 My time in Nepal is drawing to a close. For this time... Impossible to summarise this amazing country, but in short it has been a peak experience. Peak time with peak people in peak country. The nature is unquestionably one of its kind, with both jungle and the highest peaks of this planet within sight. And the people, to a large extent poor, but with a richness of soul and spirit that is overwhelming; generous, kind, humble and proud at the same time. But most amazing has been our way to approach it; walking, talking and singing... I feel that our "Sång & Gång" concept, our "walk & sing" adventures that we now have developed for almost 30 years have found an ultimate form here. We walk into the villages, meeting people eye-level, share a song, and walk out of there with a garland around our necks and a blessing on our foreheads. And a smile in our hearts and a sense of taking part in a real transformative meeting. For both parties. All of this has